Here are some various, different and sometimes contradictory quotes I have read about leadership over time:
- Leadership is the capacity to translate vision into reality
- Leadership is to exercise initiative and influence
- Leadership is to create more leaders, not more followers.
- Leadership is not measurable, followership is à evaluate leadership through the measure of followership
- Leadership is to go first.
- Leadership is to put the best ahead and go last to make sure no one is left behind
- Leadership is about unlearning management and re-learning being Human
- leadership is a choice, not a position
- Leadership is everybody’s business
- Leadership is communicating to people their worth and potential so clearly that they come to see it in themselves.
- Leadership is the enabling art
- Servant leadership is to set up the conditions of empowerment and then to get out of people’s way, clear their path and become a source of help as requested.
What if, as my friend Adam Quiney put it recently, Leadership was not a way to be, but the possibility of all ways of being?
What would that make available in your own role and your own life?